monument erected and dedicated to the 446th Bomb Group B-24 crew
of "Ginger" by the French town of Schoeneck is a six
foot granite stone beautifully and tastefully place under giant
trees on a main intersection. There is an approximately 12 foot
red brick entrance to the monument located off a street near the
main intersection and can be viewed by every passing vehicle.
site is near where B-24 "Ginger" crashed and the town
of Schoeneck annually has a ceremony with bands, flags, flowers
at the monument on the August Saturday nearest 26 August - the
date that the "Ginger" crew flew it's fatal mission
in 1944. The original dedication was in 1998 and all survivors,
who were POW's - Norman Phillips, Albert Lang and George Lesko,
were present. It was a great tribute to our deceased crew members
- the majority executed by the SS with a bullet to the back of
their head after surrender. The executioners were hanged after
the War Crimes Trial in 1947.